I rarely share what I write in my handwritten journal. From time to time I may share bits, but never an entire entry. Not because they are full of deep personal thoughts, but mainly because the entries are usually very boring. What we did the day before or what all I need to remind myself to do that day or our plans. But when I sat down to write last night and the words were flowing I knew I would share it here today.
The clock reads just after 8 p.m. Chris and Sam are home safe from Tuscaloosa and both sound asleep. I enjoy my alone time, but oh how I missed them this weekend.
I’m not as tired as I thought I would be considering the time change.
The house is quiet. The hum of the refrigerator is all I hear.
And grace. Grace is filling my thoughts most of all.
Especially the gift of grace given. Of the power it contains. Grace heals and God uses the grace we give to heal.
So many hurts do not deserve grace. But that’s the crux when it comes to grace is it not? Giving that which is not deserved.
Yet when we do we take away the power of guilt. Grace given releases the one gifted from the guilt they feel. It lifts a burden. It allows them to heal.
God uses the grace we give to heal.
Even the grace in one simple word can heal. Even a simple hello in passing can give the person who has hurt us the permission to forgive themselves.
Isn’t that the most difficult aspect of forgiveness? Forgiving ourselves? Yes when others hurt us we often struggle to forgive. We must work through it often times. Consciously making the decision to forgive and show grace. It may take time and deliberate prayer to forgive someone who has wronged us, but I find it infinitely harder to forgive myself when I’ve hurt someone. We have a tendency to heap guilt on ourselves.
But when we are repentant God can use even the smallest grace to heal so we can forgive ourselves.
We can give grace in even something as small as a simple hello.
When was the last time you gave someone the simplest of graces? Have you ever been given the simplest of graces that made all the difference?
683. For new brake pads. (11/1/11)
684. For excellent customer service. (11/1/11)
685. For Gena and friendship that remains through the years. (11/1/11)
686. For sweet Harper Grace & newborn goodness. (11/1/11)
687. For Erin, Ben, Owen & sweet new Ruth Ellen. (11/1/11)
688. For the grace found in a simple hello. (11/2/11)
689. For first Wednesday at HighlandsAU. (11/2/11)
690. For beauty in brokenness. (11/3/11)
691. For a heart that has found healing and peace. (11/4/11)
692. For cute crochet hats on a cool fall morning. (11/5/11)
693. For authentic friends. (11/6/11)
694. For grace given. (11/6/11)
695. For the worship team at Highlands Auburn. (11/6/11)
696. For covenant. (11/6/11)
697. For Chris and Sam making it home safely. (11/6/11)
698. For hugs and kisses. (11/6/11)