Ordinarily Extraordinary » Faith, Art, Photography.....Life

Sufficient: One Word 2012

Dec282011_0004
And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. (2 Corinthians 12:9 NASB)

“I am enough,” I hear Him say. “I am sufficient for you. Trust this.”

Unsure what my one word for 2012 would be as November began I sensed this as I read a post from Preston. A post that doesn’t speak to my word. No, just one line God uses. Hoping for a word less challenging I tried to ignore the nudging. Then again a few days later it knocked again. Another post from Preston while not speaking directly to my word. Again just one line.

“Enough. Sufficient.”

“Okay. I’m listening now, but I’m weary. Surely there is an easier word.”

I hear silence. Not the silence of victory. The kind of silence I give my son when I refuse to argue with him any longer. The silence that brings eventual obedience from him.

As December dawns I hesitantly accept this new word. Learning to seek the graces and give thanks brought more battle than I could have imagined for 2011 so I know this new word will challenge just as much, but I also have faith that it will bring as much joy and growth.

The irony as I wrestled with this new word is not lost. Learning this, letting ‘sufficient’ settle into my spirit, I will have more rest, more peace.

Sufficient: enough, adequate, meeting the need of.

He is sufficient. He is enough. He will meet all my needs. He is enough when I do not feel good enough. He is sufficient when I’m hurt. He is sufficient when I’m weary. He gives me enough for each day.

Not only is He enough I am enough for the purpose He gives me no matter what others expect.

His grace is sufficient for me.

As the last week of 2011 began a few secondary words also surfaced to journey along with sufficient this year. At first perplexing me as to how they would go along with sufficient, but as they have sat with me for these days I understand now. Seek. Study. Strive.

In seeking Him more and studying more about Him I will know even more that He is sufficient. I need to push myself more, to strive toward goals and in doing so will also learn once again that He is sufficient.

So as the new year begins He continues what He began in 2011 because knowing He is sufficient is born out of eucharisteo.

What is your word for 2012?

• Hilary Sherratt - January 3, 2012 - 8:29 am

“knowing He is sufficient is born out of eucharisteo.” – That, exactly. Your words remind me today that trusting Him means giving thanks. I love how He continues what He begins, always in a new way, but always with the same purpose of drawing us nearer to Him. I love your one word for 2012 – I’m excited to read how it shapes your year!ReplyCancel

• Eileen - January 3, 2012 - 9:06 am

Great word, Amy. And great goal! That’s one of my favorite verses too.ReplyCancel

• Prudence - January 3, 2012 - 9:39 am

Knowing (& believing) God is sufficient is most difficult. Even aside from wanting to do it on our own.

My word this year is hope. Like I mentioned last night, I gave God the “what the…” and a piece of my mind. This is going to be one of those stretching years. Oye!ReplyCancel

• Michele Kearns - January 3, 2012 - 5:11 pm

My one word for 2012 is streamline. It is something I felt compelled to use ever since November. Last year I was involved in so many things, job search, numerous forms of volunteer work, and taking care of Dad and his estate. It is time to pare down and realize whatever is left is sufficient.

In 3 words 2012 can be decribed as Joy. Pray. Give from 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.ReplyCancel

• Pattyann - January 3, 2012 - 5:58 pm

Oh, I love your word this year (so much so, that I might have to remember it for next year!) My word this year is Surrender. As in to remember to surrender myself to His will. To not need to be in control of everything. To remember that He is always in control and that He knows what I need much better than I do. I love the one word for the year. I found that I learned so much by being conscious of it.ReplyCancel

• floyd - January 3, 2012 - 6:03 pm

I love your word. I don’t have a word for this year. My word or words for last year was “no fear.” It didn’t start that way, I just sought Him in His word and that’s what my heart was needing. I’ll sit back and let it come to me. It always does. Have a blessed and prosperous year.ReplyCancel

• Kristin - January 3, 2012 - 7:51 pm

aahh, eucharisteo, a word I learned last year.
    This year my word I will strive more for is “discipline”. That is my one word.
    May you find joy and growth in His Sufficiency!
    (Visiting from One Word)ReplyCancel

• Lisa - January 3, 2012 - 9:22 pm

I love this word – I love that it took time to make itself at home in you, for you to accept. Praying for you as you begin this journey with sufficient.

(My word for 2012 is Still.)ReplyCancel

• Lisa notes - January 5, 2012 - 9:43 am

Such a great choice. Can I switch? 🙂 (I chose “venture.”) But somehow all the one-word choices are connected. I need to rest in his sufficiency in order for me to venture. I’ll look forward to your journey this year with “sufficient”!ReplyCancel

• Michelle - January 6, 2012 - 10:31 pm

Absolutely love. My word is ‘balance’. I don’t often comment, but I do love your posts.

Hugs
    RedReplyCancel

• HopeUnbroken - January 7, 2012 - 7:16 am

oh, to rely on His sufficiency! a great place to be. . . a hard place to remain. it is a daily venture, yes? but so much less wearying than trying to do it on my own. yet again. i must be a very. slow. learner.
    have a blessed weekend!
    stephReplyCancel

• Faith Barista Bonnie - January 16, 2012 - 5:34 pm

Hey Amy, it sounds like a One Word that is spurring you onto action: SUFFICIENT. We are cheering you on and may you know you are not alone. I’m excited to see how God will guide you through this year with this one word prompt: sufficient. Love it! Thank you for sharing it!ReplyCancel

• […] These words have been months in the writing. Even longer really. God slowly etching this truth on my heart. This truth about letting go of hope. Not letting go of the hope we have in Him, but the hope we place in situations, organizations and people. I suppose it is just another aspect of teaching me He is sufficient. […]ReplyCancel